What is Tile Roofing or Tiled Roof?
Tile Roofing is a special type of roof installation and is currently one of the most popular roofing systems in Australia. It is also the most beautiful roofing option for the people who wish to spend the longest time of their life under the same roof. In addition. this type of roof can be installed at all kinds of venues, be it your home, office, restaurant or even resort.
However, the installation is one tricky task that only a few master. It is also evident that if the tiles are installed properly, well in place, then they can also last longer than 100 years.
Based on the type of tile material used, there are 5 types of Tiled Roofs, namely- Clay Roof Tiles, Metal Roof Tiles, Slate Roof Tiles, Concrete Roof Tiles and Solar Roof Tiles.
1. Clay Roof Tiles
Clay roof installation is one of the oldest roofing methods in our history and is considered to be environment friendly as they can be recycled very easily. Clay tiles are manufactured by baking molded clay. As a result, its density depends upon the temperature at which it is baked. They are available in four colour variants as white, yellow, orange and brown.
2. Metal Roof Tiles
Metal Tile Roofing is one of the fastest growing roofing systems in the market for the past decade due to its lightweight and affordable price. Being an easy-to-install lightweight roofing system, it also makes it easier for the resident owners when they move to migrate from one place to another.
3. Slate Roof Tiles
The original Slate Roof Tiles are manufactured from 100% natural rock. This makes them durable and their appearance even more appealing to eyes. Apart from being durable and beautiful, they are fireproof and can be recycled. In addition, they are environment friendly as they don’t release any harmful polluting agents during the manufacturing process.
4. Concrete Roof Tiles
Concrete Roof Tiles (most commonly called Cement Roof Tiles) are end products of the mixture of portland cement, sand and water. Colour dyes are added to the mixture to give them a better style. Their speciality is that their resistance to wind and roof hail damage is remarkably good.
5. Solar Roof Tiles
Solar Roof Tiles as the name explains are made with solar cells installed on the layer exposed to the sun. Despite being a new concept, it is currently under heavy demands in the market as it uses the sunlight as a resource to generate power supply. As a result, they are highly recommended if you want to minimise the cost of
Advantages of Tiled Roofs
- Environment Friendly: Manufactured entirely from natural / core elements, tiled roofs are best as they can be easily recycled.
- Less Energy Consumption: Tiles have a heavy thermal mass that helps regulate indoor temperature with ease, thereby decreasing the cost of energy consumption inside.
- Long Life: Tiled roofs are well renowned for their persistent behaviour as they stay intact for more than 100 years upon proper installation.
- Highly Durable: They are easy to transport from one place to another and most importantly, they do not require any maintenance or timely service.
- Ample Choices: As discussed earlier, Tiled Roofs come with a variety of choices. It is easier for you to choose the right kind to be installed at your place.
Disadvantages of Tiled Roofs
- Tricky Installation: Tiled Roof installation requires men with expertise and years of experience as the tiles need to be placed in such patterns that no moisture gets through and the roof structure is intact.
- High Cost: It is hard to argue on the fact that it is a one-time investment but one can’t deny that the installation expenses are quite extraordinary.
- Non-Universal: Roof Tiles are best suited for roofs with sharp slopes but they do not work well on roofs with pitches less than 4:12.